Accelerating the Adoption of Manufacturing Use-Cases through Computing Continuum and Data Spaces
The manufacturing sector stands as a linchpin in Europe’s economic landscape, contributing significantly to GDP, employment, and innovation. Accounting for over 15% of the European Union’s GDP and employing millions of people, manufacturing plays a pivotal role in driving innovation, exports, and overall economic growth. With a rich industrial heritage and a diverse array of industries, Europe’s manufacturing prowess is poised to evolve in the digital age. Central to this evolution are the concepts of computing continuum and data spaces. By seamlessly integrating edge computing, cloud services, and IoT technologies, the manufacturing sector gains the ability to optimize operations, enhance product quality, and foster innovation. According to a report by IDC, the European IoT market for manufacturing is projected to reach €60 billion by 2023, underscoring the substantial investments being made in digital transformation. As data spaces become integral components of manufacturing ecosystems, they will serve as hubs for data-driven decision-making, enabling manufacturers to leverage insights from a multitude of sources. This strategic shift towards advanced computing and data-driven operations is poised to solidify Europe’s position as a global leader in high-tech, sustainable manufacturing practices.
This session aims to explore the pivotal role played by the computing continuum and data spaces in accelerating the adoption of manufacturing use-cases. We will delve into the concepts, technologies, and real-world applications that are driving this transformation, highlighting the benefits, challenges, and best practices for leveraging these innovations.
- Data Spaces and Manufacturing: Examine the concept of data spaces, which facilitate seamless data sharing and collaboration across various manufacturing components and stakeholders.
- Accelerating Adoption: Discuss how computing continuum and data spaces can enable the faster adoption of manufacturing use-cases such as predictive maintenance, quality control, supply chain optimization, and more.
- Industrial Applications: Showcase use-cases of RIAs of how manufacturing companies can successfully leveraged these technologies to enhance their operations and outcomes.
- Challenges and Solutions: Address the challenges and roadblocks in implementing computing continuum and data spaces in manufacturing and present strategies and solutions to overcome them.
- 11.30-11.40: OPENING AND INTRODUCTION Golboo Pourabdollahian, IDC (EUCLOUDEDGEIOT Initiative, UNLOCK-CEI Project)
- 11.40-11.50 – Real time monitoring for control and detection of production, Alissa Zaccaria, Intellimech (AI-REDGIO 5.0 Project)
- 11.50 -12.00 – Smart worker assistant, Maria Rossetti, MADE Competence Center Industry 4.0 (INCODE Project)
12.00 – 12.25: PANEL DISCUSSION
- Sergio Gusmeroli, Politecnico di Milano
- Oscar Lazaro, Innovalia
- Brendan Rowan, BluSpecs
- Intellimech, Alissa Zaccaria
Maria Rossetti’s presentation here
Alissa Zaccaria’s presentation here
AI-REDGIO 5.0 EUCLOUDEDGEIOT and INCODE Project presentation here